Knowing what causes heartburn is just as important for your health. Once you know the causes of heartburn you also learn what you need to do to avoid heartburn as well.
What causes heartburn can vary from person to person but here is a list of common causes of heartburn.
- Eating too much. Serve yourself less food, you’ll lose some weight and stop heartburn.
- Wearing tight clothes. Avoid wearing tight clothes all day, especially slimming underwear or belts that can press against your stomach.
- Sleeping after dinner. Or any meal in fact, avoid going to sleep or laying down after eating. Stand up, take a small walk or wash the dishes!
- Smoking. This is a no brainer, smoking does a million bad things to your body, including heartburn.
- Alcoholic beverages. I know I like my cold beer or vodka at the club, but it is a major cause of heartburn. Avoid drinking to often.
- Tomatoes. But it’s a vegetable! There good now and then but try to use different veggies in your meals or avoid that Friday pizza with extra tomato sauce.
- Citrus products. Especially the concentrated flavors, there no good for you.
- Coffee. Another big cause of heartburn, anything with caffeine in fact. Your safe option is water.
Aside from losing weight, knowing what the causes of heartburn are will now let you focus on how to avoid feeling that chest pain or fire in your throat. Drink plenty of water and keep a healthy lifestyle overall.